The Santa Cruz Trek is one of the most popular hiking routes in the Cordillera Blanca. While an option exists to do the trail in just 4 days, our Santa Cruz expedition includes a 2-day extension through the far-more pristine Ulta Valley which always proves to be a highlight for those who make the time to go. The trail winds through fertile alpine valleys, boasts views of spectacular glaciated peaks, and crosses from one side of the Cordillera Blanca to the other by means of Punta Union pass which rises to14,700 feet (4750 meters), then back again over Yanayacu pass at 4850 meters before descending to the trailhead above the small town of Shilla. With donkeys carrying the load, the walk is made even more enjoyable, allowing one to focus his or her attention the stunning landscape instead of the weight of their backpack! An optional hike to visit the popular Alpamayo basecamp can be woven into the trip on day 2, or for those more inclined to just put their feet up and take in the sights the grassy pasture of Taullipampa couldn’t be a more perfect resting place. You’ll wander past the monstrous peaks of Santa Cruz, Artesonraju, Taulliraju and more. On your way to Colcabamba, you’ll pass through a small community where you’ll see up close and personal the way the people of this mountainous zone live, perhaps even taste some of their local cuisine! A short and very sweet hike, it is no wonder why the Santa Cruz is considered “THE trek” to do in Huaraz
- Grade: Moderate
- Length: 6 Days Walk
- Distance: 67Km
- Maximum Altitude: 4850m
- Average: 4100m
- Season: April – October
Depart Huaraz and drive to the small village of Cashapampa to meet your donkeys and begin your trek up the beautiful Santa Cruz Valley. Hike about 4 hours before setting up camp and settling in for the evening in an area called Llama corral.
Continue hiking up the valley 5-7 hours towards the first pass of the trek (Punta Union 4750 meters). Camp before the pass near the popular Alpamayo base camp. Optional trip up to see the base camp.
Hike up and over Punta Union and descend to about 4200 meters where a nice camp awaits in Paria. Hiking time, 6-7 hours.
Continue your descent towards the town of Vaqueria, then cut southeast on the trail at Colcabamba. Enter the Ulta valley and sleep in Molina Pampa before ascending to the second pass. Hiking time, 4-5 hours.
Hike up towards tDayhe pass on a lightly-traveled path to a beautiful campsite called Avalancha situated below the towering peak of Contrahierbas. The sounds and sights of the mountain will keep you entertained throughout the afternoon! Hiking time 5-6 hours.
Enjoy your last morning at camp then pack up and hike out to meet your transport at the road. Transfer to Huaraz for the well-deserved warm shower and celebration banquet.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- Pre trekking Briefing.
- A professional trekking Guide: English, Spanish and Quechua speaking.
- An assistant guide for a large group (more than 7 people).
- A Cook: mountain cuisine.
- An assistant cook for a large group (more than 5 people).
- 1 Private transport of approaching from all the expeditions.
- Entrance fees to the Huascaran national park.
- Food during the trekking as indicated in the itinerary (breakfast, lunch, reception and dinner) we have option for vegetarian people.
- Camping equipment: mountaineering tents (2 persons).
- Mess tents.
- Kitchen stuff: stove, kitchen utensils, chairs, tables and others.
- Donkeys: the donkeys will carry all the stuff.
- Donkey drivers.
- First aid kit.
- An emergency horse: which can be used in case of emergency, if you are feeling ill or if you are tired
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- International flights to Lima / Peru round trip.
- Personal equipment.
- Food in the city.
- Taxis in cities.
- Travel, life or baggage insurance.
- Unexpected expenses as when a participant leaves the group during the scheduled days.
- A day pack for your walking to bring water, camera, and light stuff (30 litters)
- Rain gear (water and windproof jacket and pants)
- Hiking boots
- Few per of socks
- Warm clothes (jacket, fleeces, gloves, thermal clothing underneath, and down jacket
- Sleeping bag
- Torch / flashlight (2 extra batteries)
- Definitely camera
- Cap or hat to protect yourself from sun heat, cold or rain
- Lip stick
- Water battle or thermo (1 litter or more)
- Personal first aid kit with medicines that often use
- Per of walking poles really necessary for the hike
Do you need any help?
+51 922 707 740