The Santa Cruz Trek is one of the most popular hiking routes in the Cordillera Blanca. The trek is four days long and approximately 30 miles (48 kilometers) of trail, winding through fertile alpine valleys, boasting views of spectacular glaciated peaks and crossing from one side of the Cordillera Blanca to the other by means of Punta Union pass which rises to 14,700 feet (4750 meters). With donkeys carrying the load, the walk is made even more enjoyable, allowing one to focus his or her attention the stunning landscape instead of the weight of their backpack! An optional hike to visit the popular Alpamayo basecamp can be woven into the trip on day 2, or for those more inclined to just put their feet up and take in the sights the grassy pasture of Taullipampa couldn’t be a more perfect resting place. You’ll wander past the monstrous peaks of Santa Cruz, Artesonraju, Taulliraju and more. On your way out to Vaqueria, you’ll pass through a small community where you’ll see up close and personal the way the people of this mountainous zone live, perhaps even taste some of their local cuisine! After getting picked up in Vaqueria, you come back to Huaraz
- Grade: Moderate
- Length: 4 Days Walk
- Distance: 50 Km
- Maximum Altitude: 4750m
- Average: 4100m
- Season: April – October
At indicated time pick up in the hotel and transfer in bus to Cashapampa, it takes around 3 hours; Cashapampa village is the starting point, place where the Horseman and his pack animals wait for us. Then we start the trekking among typical Andean trees and we walk through Santa Cruz valley to get to Llamacorral campsite. Lunch on the way, night at camp. Meal includes (lunch, reception and dinner)
Walking Time: 4 to 5 hrs.
We continue hiking up the Santa Cruz valley 5-7 hours towards the first pass of the trek (Punta Union 4750 meters). Camp before the pass near the popular Alpamayo base camp. Before the camp the group walks toward Alpamayo base camp where there is a wonderful view of Alpamayo (the most beautiful mountain in the world) and the famous paramount peak (mt. Artesonraju). Meal includes (breakfast, lunch, reception and dinner).
Walking Time 4 to 5 hrs.
After breakfast we start walking, but this time we will go up to Punta Union. The highest point of the circuit; from this point we can see the mountains such as: Taulliraju, Rinrihirka, Paria, Etc. After to take a small rest and take photos we go down to Cachinapampa campsite, where we will camp, we get there after of 3 hours approximately. Lunch on the way down. Night at camp. Meal includes (breakfast, lunch, reception and dinner)
Walking Time: 6 to 7 hrs.
we start walking out , this time we go to Vaquería a small village where we get after to walk 2.5 hours approximately, in this place the vehicle will wait for us to take us to Huaraz city; on the way we will stop in Portachuelo pass 4760m , from this pass we can see many mountains such us: Chacraraju, Pisco, Chopicalqui and the Peruvian Andes highest peak Huascaran 6768m, we also will visit Llanganuco lakes, Orqoncocha and Chinancocha (male and female lakes), in the afternoon we arrive in Huaraz. Lunch on the way. Transfer to the hotel. Meal includes (breakfast and lunch)
Walking Time: 2 to 3 hrs.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- Pre trekking Briefing.
- A professional trekking Guide: English, Spanish and Quechua speaking.
- An assistant guide for a large group (more than 7 people).
- A Cook: mountain cuisine.
- An assistant cook for a large group (more than 5 people).
- 1 Private transport of approaching from all the expeditions.
- Entrance fees to the Huascaran national park.
- Food during the trekking as indicated in the itinerary (breakfast, lunch, reception and dinner) we have option for vegetarian people.
- Camping equipment: mountaineering tents (2 persons).
- Mess tents.
- Kitchen stuff: stove, kitchen utensils, chairs, tables and others.
- Donkeys: the donkeys will carry all the stuff.
- Donkey drivers.
- First aid kit.
- An emergency horse: which can be used in case of emergency, if you are feeling ill or if you are tired
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- International flights to Lima / Peru round trip.
- Personal equipment.
- Food in the city.
- Taxis in cities.
- Travel, life or baggage insurance.
- Unexpected expenses as when a participant leaves the group during the scheduled days.
- A day pack for your walking to bring water, camera, and light stuff (20 litters)
- Rain gear (water and windproof jacket and pants)
- Hiking boots
- Few per of socks
- Warm clothes (jacket, fleeces, gloves, thermal clothing underneath, and down jacket
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Torch / flashlight (2 extra batteries)
- Definitely camera
- Cap or hat to protect yourself from sun heat, cold or rain
- Lip stick
- Water battle or thermo (1 litter or more)
- Personal first aid kit with medicines that often use
- Per of walking poles really necessary for the hike
Do you need any help?
+51 922 707 740